Friday 30 December 2016

Positivity Breeds Positivity

Hello my friends!!!

So I've been taking my time to get to writing this haha - sorry!

I wanted to wait to make sure I passed 3X before I wrote anything but I'm officially heading to my final semester of the island in January! It's been one heck of a ride since last year at this time when I was just starting my journey to the island. Thank you to everyone who has been following my stories since then!

I'm currently in Brooks, Alberta (a little town 2 hours south of Calgary) with my family because my brother plays for the Brooks Bandits and they have a game on New Years Eve! I'm super excited about that and shockingly this is the first time I've flown domestically in Canada AND the first time I've gone west of London, Ontario. So far it's been pretty windy and cold (I'm not so good with winter) but it's beautiful here. The town is small but nice and everyone is SO friendly and welcoming. I've layered up my socks and have two on at all times since one was not cutting it. As for the hockey arena here - it is BEAUTIFUL. Looks like a professional rink and by far the nicest I've been in, and I sat in my fair share of arenas growing up.

ANYWAYS back to medicine! The mental break has been so nice and SO NECESSARY. I can't stress taking a mental break enough. You think you can just powerhouse through it and you don't need to take a break but your mind needs it. If your school gives you time in your schedule or between semesters UTILIZE THAT BREAK or you will burn out! Mind you I have started looking at my Cardiology section of First Aid (since yesterday) just to start refreshing my memory before my cardiology block in 4X! Although cardio is a difficult block and very conceptual I am interested in it and I do find it pretty darn cool.

I don't think I've actually fully processed the fact that I am heading into my final semester on the island... after this one island life is done. That's pretty scary to think about. I still feel like a medical baby. I'm also shocked at the amount of information we've packed into our minds in the last year. It's absolutely crazy and I still shock myself when I sit down and explain something to a friend or family.

When I sit back and think about how much things have changed in the past year it scares me but also makes me feel incredibly excited. If you put your mind to something and believe you can do it you will be shocked at how much things can change for you in a year. There's no reason to think you are unable to do something just because someone may have said you are unqualified or "it'll never happen". My own situation is a prime example and I use my brother - who has had MANY trials and tribulations himself - as my inspiration to keep pushing.

I'm cutting this short so I can catch the end of my brothers practice but PLEASE never give up hope or faith. You can and you will do it!

Jen

That arena...

No comments:

Post a Comment